First Presbyterian Church of Strasburg is a Stephen Ministry congregation. In Stephen Ministry congregations, lay caregivers, Stephen Ministers, are trained to provide one-to-one Christian care to hurting people in our and around our congregation, the bereaved, hospitalized, terminally ill, separated, divorced, unemployed, relocated, and others facing a crisis or life challenge. If you or someone you know is facing or going through a difficult time, contact Pastor Bronkema or Stephen Leaders Joyce and Bill Potter.
In Acts 6, as a man who was “known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom,” Stephen was chosen to be a servant leader in the early church. “Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, did great wonders and miraculous signs among the people.” As Stephen served “among the people,” so, too, our Stephen Ministers care for the people of our church body and community.
Stephen Ministers are committed Christian people who...
- express God’s care through their lives to others;
- received 50 hours of initial training in important caring ministry and concepts;
- are commissioned as Stephen Ministers after completing their training;
- visit another person regularly and dependably and offer Christian support and care;
- participate in regular support and supervision under guidance of trained Stephen leaders;
- are committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship;
- serve at least two years;
- receive continuing education and skill builidng throughout their time of service.
People who receive care from a Stephen Minister...
- receive quality Christian care;
- deepen their relationship with their Lord;
- grow in their desire to participate in Christian community;
- come to value ministry from a lay person while continuing their contact with the pastor.
Stephen Ministry enables our congregation to grow as a warm, loving, nurturing community where people are cherished and cared for in Jesus Christ and identifies our congregation to the community as a place where people’s needs are taken seriously.
Click On Video Image For An Overview Of Stephen Ministry
The Following Four Short Videos Are Testimonials from Stephen Ministry Care Receivers
Getting Me Plugged Into My Church
A Single Mother With Many Issues
Refusing to Give Up On Me
A Man Facing Divorce
I Can Tell Him Anything
A Man Caring For A Terminally Ill Family Member
Connected With God In a Way I Never Felt Before
A Woman Struggling With Her Faith In God